CAMBA Gardens Phase I – Recipient of Urban Land Institute Award
Developed on the campus of Kings County Hospital in partnership with NYC Health and Hospitals Corporation, CAMBA Gardens not only provides sustainable and affordable housing in Wingate, Brooklyn, but streamlined health care to its tenants. The two buildings together consist of 209 units, and feature on-site case management services, such as nutrition counseling, computer training, and job preparation. CAMBA Gardens is transit-oriented, so that tenants have easy and reliable access to transportation. The housing complex provides affordable housing for households earing under 60% of AMI, as well as to families and individuals special needs.
Project developers, CAMBA Housing Ventures, Inc., selected Steven Winter Associates (SWA) to join the project team to provide sustainability and accessibility consulting services. SWA conducted design review guidance, compartmentalization blower door testing, tenant and building manager manuals and trainings, and final certification documentation and submissions. They also conducted site inspections and field verification through the construction phase, and trades training to ensure field teams were aware of SWA’s role during the construction phase and the various program requirements.
Primary Sustainability and Energy Efficient Measures:
- Installation of a rooftop solar PV array
- Urban environment offers easy access to community resources, public transportation, and green spaces
- Exterior playscapes and landscaped areas
- Robust envelope with continuous exterior rigid insulation and high performance windows
- Low flow plumbing fixtures
- High efficacy lighting packages with interior and exterior lighting controls
- High albedo, light colored roofing materials
- Drought tolerant and high efficiency irrigation systems
- Low VOC paints, primers, adhesives and sealants used within the building interior
- Construction waste management that included sorting and recycling to divert materials from the landfill
- High efficiency boilers