Sugar Hill Project
Broadway Housing Communities’ Sugar Hill development on St. Nicholas Avenue and 155th Street is a mixed-use building consisting of Affordable Housing, a Children’s Museum, an Early Childhood Center, and non-profit offices. Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) worked as the LEED®, Energy Modeling and Commissioning consultant. The project participated in NYSERDA’s MPP-v3 incentive program and it also earned LEED for New Construction v2009 Silver Certification.
SWA managed the LEED Certification process from the initial design stages through completion of construction. The project integrated the following sustainability features:
- Implemented an erosion and sedimentation control (ESC) plan that conforms to the 2003 EPA Construction General Permit (CGP);
- Bicycle storage areas and proximity to public mass transit systems will reduce pollution and land development impacts from automobile use;
- Underground Parking and Roof Pavers with high SRI value help decrease the urban heat island effect;
- Savings from the water-efficient plumbing fixtures are anticipated to decrease annual water usage by 40%;
- Primary Energy Conservation Measures include High Performance HVAC Systems, Energy Efficient Envelope and Energy Efficient LED Lighting. The project will see a calculated 19% annual energy cost savings;
- Enhanced Commissioning verified that the project’s energy-related systems were installed, calibrated and perform to the Owner’s requirements and Construction Documents;
- Appropriately sized dedicated areas for the collection and storage of materials for recycling;
- Diverted 88% of the on-site generated construction waste from landfill;
- Over 91% of regularly occupied spaces have a direct line of sight to the outdoor environment.
*Photo credit: Wade Zimmerman