Sugar Hill Project
Broadway Housing Communities’ Sugar Hill development on St. Nicholas Avenue and 155th Street is a mixed-use building consisting of Affordable Housing, a Children’s Museum, an Early Childhood Center, and non-profit offices. The project participated in NYSERDA’s MPP-v3 incentive program and it also earned LEED for New Construction v2009 Silver Certification.
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) worked as the LEED®, Energy Modeling and Commissioning consultant. SWA managed the LEED Certification process from the initial design stages through completion of construction.
Energy Conservation and Sustainability Features:
- Implemented an erosion and sedimentation control (ESC) plan that conforms to the 2003 EPA Construction General Permit (CGP);
- Bicycle storage areas and proximity to public mass transit systems will reduce pollution and land development impacts from automobile use;
- Underground Parking and Roof Pavers with high SRI value help decrease the urban heat island effect;
- Savings from the water-efficient plumbing fixtures are anticipated to decrease annual water usage by 40%;
- Primary Energy Conservation Measures include High Performance HVAC Systems, Energy Efficient Envelope and Energy Efficient LED Lighting. The project will see a calculated 19% annual energy cost savings;
- Enhanced Commissioning verified that the project’s energy-related systems were installed, calibrated and perform to the Owner’s requirements and Construction Documents;
- Appropriately sized dedicated areas for the collection and storage of materials for recycling;
- Diverted 88% of the on-site generated construction waste from landfill;
- Over 91% of regularly occupied spaces have a direct line of sight to the outdoor environment.
*Photo credit: Wade Zimmerman