Coda on H: Distinctive Urban Living in a Building that Inspires
In the vibrant H Street Corridor sits a new lifestyle-centered apartment community, Coda on H, built around many of the amenities the surrounding community provides. The H Street corridor is known for its arts community, festivals, and wealth of restaurants. The 8-story, 112-unit structure allows residents to take full advantage of the local energy, offering easy access to the H Street Farmer’s Market and various modes of transportation around Washington’s Union Station. On-site amenities at Coda on H include a library, a yoga studio, and a rooftop lounge.
Project developers, MRP Realty, Kruger Real Estate, and 315 H, LLC, selected Steven Winter Associates (SWA) to join the project team to provide sustainability and accessibility consulting. SWA’s scope included detailed plan reviews for sustainability and accessibility, trades trainings on LEED and energy requirements, on-site LEED inspections and performance testing, as well as mechanical systems commissioning.
Primary Energy and Resource Conservation Measures:
- A construction waste recycling program that successfully diverted more than 75% of materials from the landfill.
- The use of mineral wool for exterior rigid insulation that is non-combustible, moisture resistant, and provides sound absorption — which has lower embodied energy than standard rigid foam.
- Features to optimize indoor air quality such as low-emitting flooring, low-VOC emitting paints, and an active ventilation system that maintains a constant supply of fresh air to each unit.
- High efficiency HVAC systems including Variable Refrigerant Flow (VRF) heating and cooling.
- ENERGY STAR®-rated lighting fixtures and appliances, and water-saving plumbing fixtures.