Lycée Français De New York
Lycée Français is approximately 163,120 sf and includes a data center, cafeteria, two gymnasiums, classrooms, offices, and an auditorium. Lycée has demonstrated a consistent commitment to the indoor and outdoor environment, and received their LEED for Existing Buildings certification in October of 2012.
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) provided LEED consulting services for LEED for Existing Buildings: Operations & Maintenance (EBOM) re-certification under LEED EB v2009, as well as energy auditing services and retro-commissioning services that met NYC’s Local Law 87 (LL87) requirements.
The retro-commissioning evaluation and ASHRAE Level I audit were in accordance with NYSERDA’s FlexTech Program and performed in conjunction with the school’s goal of LEED re-certification. Both served to help Lycee meet LEED Energy and Atmosphere (EA) prerequisites and credits and improve efficiency throughout the building systems.
Primary Energy Conservation Features
- Installation of a 5kW photovoltaic system
- Installation of motion sensors for the air curtain
- Upgrade to the building automation system
- Lighting upgrades
- Adjustment of the condensing boiler set points
- Collectively, these energy conservation measures have the potential to save $78,136/year, with a projected kWh savings of 381,813
- Harsh chemicals were also avoided through green cleaning methods, low-VOC building materials, and integrated pest management for both the exterior and interior of the building.
- Re-certification featured a LEED EBOM rating of Silver—an improvement from their initial rating of Certified. Highlights of the re-certification period include:
- reducing conventional commuting trips by 91%,
- meeting 66% of total energy consumption with off-site renewable energy through Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs),
- and making sustainable purchases of furniture that comprised 130% of total purchases, based on sustainability weighted values.