The Buckley School – Arts & Sciences Building
The Buckley School is an independent day school for boys grades K-9 in the Upper East Side of Manhattan.
Two 5-story townhouses located directly across the street from the school’s existing building were renovated to accommodate a dedicated Arts and Sciences Building. The historic façade was restored and the interior now features new music rooms, science labs, and art studios. Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) provided LEED, Energy Modeling, and Commissioning consulting services for the project, which earned LEED® for Schools™ v2009 Silver Certification.
The sustainability strategies include:
- Water-efficient plumbing fixtures were installed, which are anticipated to reduce annual water usage by 45%
- Whole Building Energy Simulation was performed and calculated 21% annual energy cost savings
- Enhanced Commissioning verified that the project’s energy-related systems were installed and calibrated, and are performing to the Owner’s requirements and Construction Documents
- Sound-absorptive finishes were installed in core learning spaces to sufficiently limit background noise and reverberation in classrooms
- New operable windows and skylights with insulated, low-E-coated glazing were installed to help reduce solar heat gain and allow for natural ventilation
- Green roofs, which do not require permanent irrigation systems were located at the terraces to decrease potable water consumption;
- Approximately 76% of the existing structural Walls, Floors and Roof elements were reused.