StuyTown/Peter Cooper Village Earn LEED for Communities Certification
Energy Star® for Existing Multifamily Buildings
Two of New York City’s largest residential communities, StuyTown and Peter Cooper Village, have achieved certification under the United States Green Building Council (USGBC) program, LEED® for Communities™. The projects are the first in the state to earn this certification, achieving a LEED Platinum rating – the most stringent and arduous category within the LEED rating system program. This project is also the first to be awarded certification under the EPA’s ENERGY STAR for Existing Multifamily Buildings program, and is the largest property to date to achieve this distinction.
The residential complexes, located on the east end of Manhattan, were built in the 1940’s and feature a combined 110 structures and 11,250 apartments across 80 acres of land with an approximate 22,000 residents. SWA and the property management team work closely to achieve high levels of energy efficiency and sustainability while simultaneously housing a population that is the size of a small city.
Steven Winter Associates has provided the properties with sustainability program management and certification, Local Law 84 and 87 compliance, carbon reduction initiatives, and energy efficiency services.
Primary Energy Conservation Features
- A building management system (BMS) was installed to manage the building’s heat and domestic hot water– as well as many additional systems such as garage and apartment exhaust fans.
- Centrally controlled dampers minimize building openings and envelope penetrations– which reduces air filtration and energy waste.
- An upgrade to common area lighting included installing more than 13,400 LED light fixtures.
- Installation of a 3.8 megawatt solar photovoltaic system and cool roofs resulted in the largest private multifamily solar PV array in the United States.
- Construction of a 2-plus MW cogeneration facility that will provide the complex with on-site electrical and thermal generation is expected to be completed in July 2020
- 2022 Fitwel Best in Building Health Award for 2021 Highest Scoring Project for the Community Site v2.1 (Built) Scorecard