Three SWA Projects Receive CTGBC Green Building Awards

SEPTEMBER 23, 2014

Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) is pleased to announce three of the firm’s recent projects in the State of Connecticut – Fairchild Wheeler Multi-Magnet High School, 119 Bishop Street, and Gateway at 570 – were honored by the Connecticut Green Building Council (CTGBC) at its 2014 Green Building Awards held on September 18, 2014 at Stepping Stones Museum, in Norwalk, CT.

Fairchild Wheeler Multi-Magnet High School, Bridgeport

Recipient of the Institutional Award of Honor, Fairchild Wheeler Multi-Magnet High School is comprised of three magnet schools that serve a total of 1,500 interdistrict students: 70% from Bridgeport and the remaining 30% from the surrounding areas of Trumbull, Stratford, Monroe, Fairfield, Easton-Redding, and Shelton. SWA worked with JCJ Architects and the City of Bridgeport’s School Building Committee to design and build a state-of-the-art magnet school. SWA provided sustainability consulting and energy modeling services for the project, which exceeded its initial goal of LEED Silver to attain the LEED Gold (LEED® for Schools™ V 2.2) certification.

The Fairchild Wheeler campus offers students many opportunities to learn from the building in areas such as tracking energy-use and generation, utilizing green roofs to cool the building and support local insect species, harvesting rain for water conservation, and building construction that allows underground parking thus reducing the amount of paving needed on campus.

119 Bishop Street, New Haven

119 Bishop Street is a 2,000 square foot single-family home located in New Haven, CT. Homeowner and architect, David Dickson, was awarded the Single Family Residential Award of Honor for the project. SWA is providing ENERGY STAR® and LEED® for Homes™ Certification guiding the project in obtaining LEED Platinum, EPA Indoor airPLUS™, and ENERGY STAR Homes certifications. The home has attained a noteworthy preliminary HERS Index of 45 prior to installation of forthcoming Solar PV. The home is located on a flat lot in an urban neighborhood where an existing old woodworking business was demolished.

Gateway at 570, Bridgeport

The 30-unit, five-story, affordable supportive housing development, owned by the Bridgeport Neighborhood Trust, received the Multi-family Residential Award of Honor. SWA, serving as a project consultant, along with the owner and other members of the design team, committed to building an ENERGY STAR certified building as part of the owner’s supportive housing application to the State of Connecticut. The team successfully navigated the challenges of entering a new certification program launched in June 2011, and the building is the first ENERGY STAR certified Multifamily High Rise building in Connecticut.

CTGBC’s Green Building Awards honor energy-saving and cost-efficient projects that promote a sustainable future for Connecticut. Newly constructed and renovated residential, commercial, public, and institutional properties that have been substantially completed by December 2013, were recognized for their use of innovative green building techniques. Judges evaluated submissions according to the quality of design solutions, energy usage, water conservation strategies, building material selections, site design, indoor air quality, and overall aesthetics.

The owner of this website has made a commitment to accessibility and inclusion, please report any problems that you encounter using the contact form on this website. This site uses the WP ADA Compliance Check plugin to enhance accessibility.