Achieving a Comfortable Home: The Roles of the Architect and HVAC Contractor
To achieve comfort in a home, the HVAC design needs to be considered during the initial design process and not simply field installed by an HVAC contractor once the building is framed. This session will explore the elements of sound building design that need to integrated into an architects vision at the onset of the building design/layout. We will discuss what architects need to consider to achieve a comfortable home and what the partnership with the HVAC contractor should be. Methods to evaluate HVAC contractors capabilities will also be discussed. Examples from recent projects will be presented as examples of good and bad practices.
- Understand what it means to right-size your HVAC system.
- Understand the concepts of zoning and controls to optimize comfort.
- Recognize how to integrate the HVAC distribution system into the architectural design
- Recognize how comfort is impacted by system selection and occupant behavior
- How to recognize a quality vs. inferior design/installation
- The benefits of building/mechanical commissioning
Credit: 1 AIA HSW