Park Chelsea – Sustainable Features Result in LEED for New Construction
Park Chelsea is a new luxury apartment building located in Washington, D.C. Amenities include a 25 meter indoor lap pool, fitness facility, and yoga room. The building also includes features such as a community garden and a rooftop pool overlooking the U.S. Capitol building.
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) provided sustainability consulting services for the project, which earned LEED for New Construction v2009 Silver Certification. The following green building strategies were incorporated:
- The courtyard and green roof areas have native, drought resistant plant species
- 100% of the parking is underground, which helps to reduce the urban heat island effect
- Savings from the water-efficient plumbing fixtures are anticipated to decrease annual water usage by 20%
- Energy efficiency measures include an improved thermal envelope, high efficiency fenestration, exterior shading devices, reduced interior lighting power density, high efficiency service hot water heating system, energy recovery, water-side economizer control, variable speed pumps, variable speed cooling tower fans, high efficiency boilers, high efficiency variable refrigerant systems, and high efficiency water source heat pumps
- The project diverted approximately 96% of the on-site generated construction waste from landfill
- Over 29% of the building materials were extracted, harvested, and manufactured within 500 miles of the project site
Park Chelsea is one of three buildings at The Collective being developed by WC Smith. The Agora and The Garrett are both currently under construction. SWA will also provide LEED Certification services for these buildings.