Job Position: Sustainability Specialist
Location: New York, NY
Full time/part time: Full time position
Travel Required: Estimated less than 10%
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. is seeking a Sustainability Specialist to support the firm’s Sustainable Building Services group. The position assists commercial new construction project teams with achieving various green building certifications and offers best practice recommendations for construction.
The successful candidate will work on projects primarily in New York, but may also be required to travel beyond this region such as the greater Boston, Philadelphia, Baltimore/Washington DC areas and must be comfortable with a wide range of project types, such as hospitality, schools, multifamily, commercial, office, and retail etc.
This position reports to the Sustainability Director.
The Sustainability Specialist will work on a variety of building types; multifamily existing buildings, new construction or commercial and gut-renovation projects, and must be able to perform the following tasks:
- Coordinate with various professional design team disciplines throughout design and construction phases
- Coordinate green building program documentation process
- Review and provide recommendations to project specifications and design drawings
- Conduct green building program calculations
- Review and log submittals for green building program compliance
- Perform area takeoff calculation using AutoCAD or Adobe Acrobat or similar program
- Coordinate with and support contractor team
- Conduct product and technology research related to sustainability
- Articulate building science principles and green building program requirements to a project team
- Effectively communicate in written and spoken English
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Below is a list of the minimum requirements for the position:
Required industry knowledge, and skills
- Bachelor degree in architecture, architectural technology, sustainable design, civil engineering, construction management, or related field
- Knowledge and interest in building science principles
- Demonstrated understanding and experience with reading and reviewing construction drawings and specifications.
- Knowledge of the built environment and awareness of sustainable building practices
- LEED Green Associate accreditation
- LEED BD+C and/or ID+C knowledge
- Previous working experience applying LEED rating system(s)
- Proficiency in MS Office suite required (Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint)
- Submittal review experience is preferred
- Attention to detail with excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to multitask and manage time efficiently
- Meet deadlines and be flexible to changing deadlines
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, maturity, credibility, confidence and integrity
- Focused and highly self-motivated
- Able to work independently as well as close collaboration with other staff members and multiple client project teams
Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without prior notice.
While performing the duties of this job the employee will be based in the office, performing office-based tasks, using computer-based software.
No overnight travel is anticipated for this position. Some occasional local day travel will be necessary.
All of this work is performed in an office environment. Occasional field work which will involve trips to projects sites for observation and training maybe required.
Performance will be evaluated against this job description, competencies for this level, and mutually agreed goals.
About Steven Winter Associates, Inc.
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) provides research, consulting and advisory services to improve commercial, residential and multifamily built environments for private and public- sector clients. We specialize in energy, sustainability and accessibility consulting as well as certification, research & development and compliance services. Our team of professionals has led the way since 1972 in the development of best practices to achieve high performance buildings.
For further information on Steven Winter Associates, please visit www.swinter.com.
SWA is an Equal Opportunity Employer – all qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability, or marital status. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package. Applications submitted without a cover letter will not be reviewed.