Job Position: Intern – Sustainability (Sustainable Building Services)
Location: New York
Full time/part time: 3 month position (Dec 2017 – March 2018)
Reports to: Senior Sustainability Consultant
Travel Required: None required
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. provides research, consulting and advisory services to improve commercial, residential, and multifamily built environments for private and public sector clients. We specialize in energy, sustainability, and accessibility consulting as well as certification, research & development, and compliance services. Our team of professionals has led the way since 1972 in the development of best practices to achieve high performance buildings.
SWA is seeking a paid Sustainability Intern to support the firm’s Sustainable Building Services group. The position assists commercial new construction project teams with achieving various green building certifications and offers best practice recommendations for construction.
The successful candidate will work on projects primarily in the New York metropolitan area and must be comfortable with a wide range of project types, such as hospitality, schools, multifamily, commercial, office, and retail etc.
- Coordinate with various professional design team disciplines throughout design and construction phases
- Coordinate green building program documentation process
- Review and provide recommendations to project specifications and design drawings
- Conduct green building program calculations
- Review and log submittals for green building program compliance
- Perform measurements, such as area takeoff calculation using AutoCAD or Adobe Acrobat
- Coordinate with and support contractor team
- Conduct product and technology research related to sustainability
- Articulate building science principles and green building program requirements to a project team
- Effectively communicate in written and spoken English
- Update certification details in online and in-house databases.
- Assist with research projects and data collection related to green building metrics
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without prior notice.
Required Skills and Experience
The role requires a self-starter able to work independently in a large office environment and across office locations.
Relevant Industry Skills:
- Final year of Bachelor’s degree in an environmentally-focused or built-environment design or planning field i.e. architecture, construction management, or building-related engineering disciplines.
- Knowledge and interest in building science principles and sustainability premises
- Demonstrated understanding and experience with reading and reviewing construction drawings and specifications.
Relevant Technical Skills:
- Knowledge of the built environment and awareness of sustainable building practices
- Submittal review experience is preferred
- Proficiency in MS Office suite required (Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint)
- Knowledge of AutoCAD and Adobe Acrobat preferred
- Attention to detail with excellent oral, and written communication skills
- Ability to multitask and manage time efficiently
- Meet deadlines and be flexible to changing deadlines
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, maturity, credibility, confidence, and integrity
- Focused and highly self-motivated
- Able to work independently as well as close collaboration with other staff members, and multiple client project teams
- Starting December 2017 to March 2018
- Three-month internship only
- Hourly compensation
SWA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.