Job Title: Senior Sustainability Consultant
Location: Washington, DC
Full time/part time: Full time position
Education Level: Bachelors Degree
Travel Required: Up to 25%
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) provides research, consulting and advisory services to improve commercial, residential and multifamily built environments for private and public sector clients. We specialize in energy, sustainability and accessibility consulting as well as certification, research & development and compliance services. Our engineers and architects have led the way since 1972 in the development of best practices to achieve high performance buildings.
The Position and Team:
SWA is seeking an experienced professional familiar with green building and high-performance construction to join our Washington, DC office. This position will have the opportunity to collaborate with industry experts and clients to deliver innovative solutions for sustainable buildings. We are seeking a motivated individual who can help cultivate and grow our Mid-Atlantic business.
Our office offers limitless learning opportunities and exposure to a wide range of project types including hospitality, schools, multifamily, commercial, office, and retail. This position will work with project teams from design through construction stages to implement green building program requirements programs including the suite of LEED Rating Systems, Enterprise Green Communities, and the International Green Construction Code.
This position reports to a Director.
Under the direction of a Director,
- Project management to include developing schedules, tracking milestones and overseeing compliance with green building criteria in accordance with SWA’s standard policies and processes.
- Articulate building science principles, sustainable and healthy building strategies, and green building program requirements to project teams.
- Lead project kickoff meetings and educate project teams in high performance construction and building science principles.
- Oversee multiple projects at a time from design through construction. Manage and mentor 1-2 junior level staff including support of skills development, time management, project delegation and prioritization of tasks.
- Perform reviews of construction documents and submittals, and complete documentation to incorporate sustainability best practices and to meet program requirements. When work is completed by junior staff members, review for technical accuracy and quality.
- Perform or coordinate field verification and testing as required to comply with green building program requirements.
- Manage project budgets and coordinate workflows internally and externally.
- Seek out and respond to grant opportunities and RFPs to leverage SWA’s expertise and experience in building performance and health and wellness services.
- Develop services around DC Green Construction Code including client outreach, pricing, technical assistance, and verification process.
- Meet with prospective clients and develop proposals.
- Develop and deliver presentations at conferences, industry events and client offices.
- Participate in committees and local networking events.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Below is a list of the minimum requirements for the position.
Required Industry Skills
- 5+ years relevant experience.
- Strong quantitative analysis skills.
- Proven interest in and demonstrates a deep understanding of high-performance building strategies.
- Experience reading and reviewing construction drawings and specifications.
- Experience with field verification or quality assurance for construction projects and/or existing buildings preferred.
- Experience with green building programs.
Required Technical Skills/Certifications
- Bachelors degree in a built environment or planning field i.e. architecture, construction management or building-related engineering disciplines.
- LEED BD+C, EB+OM, and/or ID+C knowledge.
- Previous rating experience as a HERS rater, LEED Homes Green Rater and/or NGBS Green Verifier preferred.
- Experience with Indoor Air Quality Testing, Construction Management or Environmental Site Assessments.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Programs (in order of importance Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Excellent communicator and ability to explain complex concepts to a variety of stakeholders.
- Attention to detail with strong oral and written communication skills.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, maturity, credibility, confidence and integrity.
- Collaborative with strong focus on teamwork.
Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without prior notice.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to walk; use hands to type, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand.
When in the field the employee must frequently lift or move objects up to 40 pounds and carry 50 yards; must be able to climb stairs and ladders and endure typical construction site conditions. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
Occasional local field visits to client offices and project sites in the Washington, DC Metro area will be necessary (estimated 10-20%) as well as occasional travel to other SWA offices in New York City and/or Norwalk, CT.
Some of the duties will be performed in the field, which will involve trips to projects sites for observation, testing, and/or training. Most of the duties will be performed in an office environment.
Performance will be evaluated against this job description, competencies for this level, and mutually agreed goals.
SWA is an Equal Opportunity Employer – all qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability, or marital status. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package. Applications submitted without a cover letter will not be reviewed.
For further information on Steven Winter Associates, please visit www.swinter.com.