Senior Mechanical Engineer / Senior Building Systems Engineer
Job Location: New York, NY
Education Level: Bachelors Degree
Travel Percentage: 30%
Reports to: Senior Principal Engineer / Director
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) is seeking qualified professionals with a strong passion for improving the built environment to support our Building Operations, Decarbonization, and Efficiency team.
This will be a senior role in our expanding Building Operations, Decarbonization and Efficiency Group, which is leveraging SWA’s 49-year track record to provide commissioning, energy auditing, retrofit implementation, research, and program/policy development services to multifamily, commercial, institutional, cultural/art center, and community buildings in New York City and beyond.
In addition to traditional energy audits, a key part of the role will involve decarbonization feasibility and retrofit consulting services to support clients in meeting carbon-emissions reductions as mandated by New York City’s Climate Mobilization Act Local Law 97. New York City’s Local Law 97 (LL97) was developed to encourage reductions in carbon emissions from the building sector. Approximately 20% of buildings will have to undergo retrofits or face ongoing fines starting in 2025. That percentage jumps to roughly 75% in 2030. Capital work to reduce carbon emissions takes years to plan, design, finance, and execute and our clients are actively seeking or help to assist them with this process
We are looking for qualified individuals for our New York City office. The successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to complete the following tasks with the technical and interpersonal skills outlined below that will help him or her excel at SWA. This posting is for a senior-level position (5-8+ years of experience).
SWA’s NYC office is not fully reopen due to COVID-19. These positions will require site visits but will otherwise be a work from home position, initially.
This position reports to a Principal Engineer / Director.
Perform project work for:
- Decarbonization feasibility studies and retrofit implementation services for existing buildings.
- Energy auditing, and retro-commissioning for existing buildings.
- Complete technical project work including:
- Review construction documents and provide recommendations to improve. constructability, indoor air quality, energy efficiency, and operations.
- Review submittals, code requirements, and develop testing plans.
- Survey of existing building equipment
- Inspect retrofits / upgrades of building equipment.
- Review and perform both central plant and terminal unit retro-commissioning / functional testing.
- Perform trend analysis.
- Lead development of energy savings strategies and calculations.
- Provide innovative solutions to technical challenges.
- Review energy savings calculations of others for correctness and for adherence to incentive and clean energy financing program rules.
- Provide and review written technical and non-technical issue log findings and reports / memos and presentations.
- Work with internal stakeholders including project managers, energy modelers, sustainability consultants, accessibility consultants, etc.
- Assume primary responsibility for the execution of small to medium projects including project financials.
- Develop scopes of work for typical small to medium-sized projects including pricing, timelines, and proposals.
- Lead communication with building owners, developers, architects, engineers, and contractors.
- Train and support junior staff members.
- Represent SWA in industry groups, committees, or associations.
- Provide and/or facilitate technical training for building industry professionals.
Additional responsibilities are available depending on this skills and interest of the successful candidate. These may include:
- Building Operator Training
- Pilot Project Research Studies
- Policy Advisory
- Commissioning for New Construction Projects
Note: Job title for this position is Senior Mechanical Engineer / Senior Building Systems Engineer
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Below is a list of the minimum requirements for the position.
Required industry knowledge, and skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering.
- 5-8+ years of relevant and consecutive work experience. Work experience relevant to this position must include experience with HVAC systems in large multifamily or commercial buildings.
- Experience conducting field inspections related to mechanical, electrical, and plumbing equipment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Programs (in order of importance Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint)
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of energy audits, retro-commissioning, and retrofit services.
- Experience managing small to medium-size projects.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel and Proficiency in other Microsoft Office Programs (in order of importance Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint).
Preferred knowledge, and skills
- Familiarity with: NYC Local Laws related to energy and climate (Local Laws 84, 87, 95, and 97); Energy Code and/or ASHRAE standards; steam systems, electrification and deep energy retrofit concepts.
- Excellent communicator and presenter able to explain complex concepts to a variety of stakeholders.
- Attention to detail.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, maturity, credibility, confidence, and integrity.
- Strong time-management skills and experience managing multiple priorities at once.
- Collaborative with strong focus on teamwork.
- Excellent work ethic.
- Passionate about optimizing MEP systems and improving the built environment.
- Desire to love what you do.
Other duties: Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without prior notice.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to walk; use hands to type, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand.
When in the field the employee must frequently lift or move objects up to 20 pounds; must be able to climb stairs and endure typical construction site conditions. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
Travel Required: Occasional overnight travel may be required (Less than 10%). Frequent local field visits in the Office Metro area will be necessary (estimated at 30-40%). A valid and clean driving license is required.
Working Environment: Approximately half of the duties will be performed in an office environment. The remainder of the duties will be performed in the field which will involve trips to projects sites for observation and training.
Performance Standards: Performance will be evaluated against this job description, competencies for this level, and mutually agreed goals.
Applications submitted without a cover letter will not be reviewed.
About Steven Winter Associates, Inc.
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) provides research, consulting and advisory services to improve commercial, residential and multifamily built environments for private and public-sector clients. We specialize in energy, sustainability and accessibility consulting as well as certification, research & development and compliance services. Our team of professionals has led the way since 1972 in the development of best practices to achieve high performance buildings.
SWA is an Equal Opportunity Employer – all qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability, or marital status.