Job Title: Senior Building Systems Engineer (Commissioning Provider)
Full time/part time: Full time
Location: New York, NY
The Position and Team
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) is seeking a qualified professional with a strong passion for improving the built environment to support our commissioning services.
This will be a senior role in our expanding Building Operations, Decarbonization and Efficiency Group, which is leveraging SWA’s 48-year track record to provide commissioning, energy auditing, retrofit implementation, research, and program/policy development services to multifamily, commercial, institutional, cultural/art center, and community buildings in the mid-Atlantic and northeast regions and beyond.
The successful candidate will provide commissioning services to multifamily, mixed use, commercial, education, cultural/art centers, and community center buildings in the NYC Metropolitan areas and beyond. We are looking for qualified individuals for our New York City office; (we are open to having this position in our Washington DC Office).
The successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to complete the following tasks with the technical and interpersonal skills outlined below that will help him or her excel at SWA.
Primary Responsibilities will include:
- Manage commissioning projects from concept to warranty phase including providing financial oversight
- Serve as a technical resource for common HVAC systems and emerging high-performance alternatives
- Lead commissioning projects for new construction and existing building retrofits
- Review construction documents and provide recommendations to improve constructability, indoor air quality, energy efficiency, and operations
- Research equipment and code requirements
- Review submittals and develop testing plans
- Inspect installations of building equipment
- Lead building diagnostic tests
- Document review comments and inspection findings in issues logs
- Perform trend analysis
- Provide written technical and non-technical reports for program compliance and ownership review
- Work together with building owners, developers, architects, engineers and contractors
- Work with internal stakeholders including project managers, energy modelers, sustainability consultants, accessibility consultants, etc.
- Train and support junior staff
- Develop scopes of work for typical small to medium-sized projects including pricing, timelines, and proposals
- Represent SWA in industry groups, committees, or associations
Additional Responsibilities may include (these are adjustable based on candidate’s skillset and interests):
- Exiting building Energy Audit, Retro-commissioning, feasibility or implementation project oversight
- Portfolio Energy Management/Real Time Energy Management
- Smart Building Services
- Policy or Equipment/technology Research
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Required industry knowledge, and skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering
- Minimum of 6 years general building MEP experience
- Minimum of 2 years commissioning experience in new construction buildings
- Understanding of building HVAC, Plumbing, Automation Controls, and/or Electrical systems
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Programs (in order of importance Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint)
- Familiarity with Energy Code and/or ASHRAE standards
- Familiarity with LEED Rating Systems as it relates to commissioning, ventilation, etc.
Preferred knowledge, and skills
- Familiarity NYC Local Laws related to energy and climate
- Professional Engineering (PE) licensure or Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam
- Excellent communicator and presenter able to explain complex concepts to a variety of stakeholders
- Attention to detail with strong oral and written communication skills
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, maturity, credibility, confidence and integrity.
- Strong time-management skills and experience managing multiple priorities at once
- Collaborative with strong focus on teamwork
- Excellent work ethic
- Passionate about optimizing MEP systems and improving the built environment
- Desire to love what you do
Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without prior notice.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to walk; use hands to type, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand.
When in the field the employee must frequently lift or move objects up to 40 pounds; must be able to climb stairs and endure typical construction site conditions. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
Occasional overnight travel may be required (Less than 10%). Frequent local field visits in the Office Metro area will be necessary (estimated at 40-50%). A valid and clean driving license is required.
Approximately half of the duties will be performed in an office environment. The remainder of the duties will be performed in the field which will involve trips to projects sites for observation and training.
Performance will be evaluated against this job description, competencies for this level, and mutually agreed goals.
About Steven Winter Associates, Inc.
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) provides research, consulting and advisory services to improve commercial, residential and multifamily built environments for private and public-sector clients. We specialize in energy, sustainability and accessibility consulting as well as certification, research & development and compliance services. Our team of professionals has led the way since 1972 in the development of best practices to achieve high performance buildings.
For further information on Steven Winter Associates, please visit www.swinter.com.
SWA is an Equal Opportunity Employer – all qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability, or marital status. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package.
Applications submitted without a cover letter will not be reviewed.