Job Title: Senior Building Systems Engineer
Job Location: Washington, DC
Education Level: Bachelors Degree
Travel Percentage: Up to 50%
The Position and Team
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) is seeking a qualified professional with a strong passion for improving the built environment to support our Building Operations, Decarbonization, and Efficiency (BODE) Group.
SWA is a dynamic employee owned company poised for growth across the multifamily and commercial sectors across the Mid-Atlantic. We are looking for someone to play a leadership role in growing our engineering services in the region. This is a unique and impactful position with significant growth potential building off recent and upcoming building performance regulations in the region.
The BODE group is leveraging SWA’s 48-year track record to provide commissioning, energy auditing, retrofit implementation, research, and program/policy development services to multifamily, commercial, institutional, cultural/art center, and community buildings in the Mid-Atlantic, northeast regions and beyond. The BODE group is currently based in SWA’s New York City office, and we are looking for someone to take the knowledge and expertise built in this market to translate it to the Mid-Atlantic region, working both on existing projects and building a team to meet the demands of the growing market. The successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to complete the following tasks with the technical and interpersonal skills outlined.
SWA’s DC office is currently not open due to COVID-19. These positions will require site visits but will otherwise be a work from home position until the office opens.
Primary responsibilities for the position will include:
- Lead business development activities for your region
- Understand the business of top clients in anticipation of future opportunities.
- Develop/expand new business areas.
- Develop proposals and pricing for complex projects and scopes of work.
- Engage with local stakeholders in development and education on the local energy efficiency and carbon reduction standards and codes
- Manage Projects (financial, scope, client relationship) across the BODE service line.
- Provide technical oversight for projects:
- Work on QA/QC processes for region specific requirements.
- Lead development of energy savings strategies.
- Identify and investigate new technologies for their technical potential.
- Provide innovative solutions to technical challenges.
- Approve project decisions with significant financial impact.
- Provide and/or facilitate technical training for staff members.
- Support overall Group performance:
- Assist the Group with assessing staff skills, assign tasks and projects, and ensure your projects are staffed appropriately.
- Provide critical input in the development of Team Operational Plan.
- Support Group with resource requirements and participate in hiring process.
- Actively promote and deliver knowledge sharing activities across the Group and between offices.
Collaborate with others to offer clients valuable services.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Below is a list of the minimum requirements for the position.
Required industry knowledge, and skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering
- 6-12+ years of relevant and consecutive work experience
- Understanding of building HVAC, Plumbing and Automation Controls
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Programs (in order of importance Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint)
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of energy audits, retro-commissioning, and retrofit services.
- Working knowledge of:
- Utility billing analysis and energy savings spreadsheet calculations
- Energy Code and/or ASHRAE standards
- Mechanical Code
- Building Energy Performance Standard
- Ability to communicate novel or complex concepts and related facts in a clear, concise, organized, and convincing manner in any format (e.g. written, oral, presentation).
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, maturity, credibility, confidence and integrity.
- Strong time-management skills and experience managing multiple priorities at once
- Collaborative with strong focus on teamwork
- Excellent work ethic
- Passionate about optimizing MEP systems and improving the built environment
- Desire to love what you do
Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without prior notice.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to walk; use hands to type, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand.
When in the field the employee must frequently lift or move objects up to 20 pounds; must be able to climb stairs and endure typical construction site conditions. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
Occasional overnight travel may be required (Less than 10%). Frequent local field visits in the Office Metro area will be necessary (estimated at 15-40%). A valid and clean driving license is required.
The majority of the duties will be performed in an office environment. The remainder of the duties will be performed in the field which will involve trips to projects sites for observation and training.
Performance will be evaluated against this job description, competencies for this level, and mutually agreed goals.
About Steven Winter Associates, Inc.
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) provides research, consulting and advisory services to improve commercial, residential and multifamily built environments for private and public-sector clients. We specialize in energy, sustainability and accessibility consulting as well as certification, research & development and compliance services. Our team of professionals has led the way since 1972 in the development of best practices to achieve high performance buildings.
For further information on Steven Winter Associates, please visit www.swinter.com.
SWA is an Equal Opportunity Employer – all qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability, or marital status. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package. Applications submitted without a cover letter will not be reviewed.