Job Title: Passive House/Senior Building Systems Engineer
Full time/part time: Full time
Location: Boston, MA
The Position and Team
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) is hiring a Senior Passive House/Building Systems Engineer to contribute to its newly founded office in Boston, Massachusetts. This position will support the firm in growing existing building energy service capabilities in the Northeast market. For an interim period, this professional is expected to travel to the CT office approximately 1 time per week in order to support strategic initiatives and to build relationships with staff that will be critical to supporting the development of the Northeast market opportunities.
We are seeking a motivated, organized, and dedicated individual to learn, grow, and thrive with us. The ideal candidate should be passionate, experienced, and knowledgeable about high-performance buildings, in particular Passive House. Certified professionals in International or US standards are welcome to apply. The ideal candidate will have a desire to work directly with clients as well as perform modeling and conduct field inspections.
The role requires a self-starter able to work independently in an office environment. Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Assist with the development, execution and management of a Passive House services growth plan for the MA market in collaboration with senior management.
- Apply energy efficiency and building science principles to identify and support pragmatic solutions that improve the built environment. Interact with building owners, developers, architects, engineers, and contractors.
- Lead the development of new utility and contractor partnerships and new business models in collaboration with senior management.
- Make innovative technical contributions as a member of industry consortiums in order to enhance SWA’s brand and industry impact.
- Review and make recommendations on HVAC design and building plans.
- Serve as a technical resource within SWA and support internal training and staff development.
- Perform open-ended data analysis.
- Write and issue technical and non-technical reports.
- Review and perform building diagnostic tests.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary functions.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Below is a list of the minimum requirements for the position:
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Engineering, Construction Management or related degree with an emphasis on buildings and their operation.
- Proficiency with PHPP or WUFI Passive software
- 5 – 8 years of relevant experience with building projects in North America and a comprehensive understanding of energy use in buildings.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Programs (in order of importance Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- 2 years of experience working on Passive House or net zero projects
- Familiarity with CAD, Sketchup and THERM,
- Excellent work ethic;
- Willingness to learn and be a self-starter;
- Outstanding organizational skills, attention to detail, and strong oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to multitask and manage time efficiently;
- Ability to work independently when required;
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, maturity, credibility, confidence and integrity;
- Collaborative nature with strong focus on teamwork.
Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without prior notice.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand.
The employee may be required to lift or move objects up to 40 pounds; must be able to climb stairs and endure typical construction site conditions. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
Occasional overnight travel may be required (less than 5%). Frequent local field visits in Massachusetts will be necessary (estimated 10-20%). Some travel to our offices in Connecticut and New York may be required. A valid and clean driving license is required.
Most of the duties will be performed in an office environment. The remainder of the duties will be performed in the field, which will involve trips to projects sites for observation, testing, and training.
Performance will be evaluated against this job description, competencies for this level, and mutually agreed goals.
About Steven Winter Associates, Inc.
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) provides research, consulting and advisory services to improve commercial, residential and multifamily built environments for private and public- sector clients. We specialize in energy, sustainability and accessibility consulting as well as certification, research & development and compliance services. Our team of professionals has led the way since 1972 in the development of best practices to achieve high performance buildings.
For further information on Steven Winter Associates, please visit www.swinter.com.
SWA is an Equal Opportunity Employer – all qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability, or marital status.
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package. Applications submitted without a cover letter will not be reviewed.