Passive House Coordinator
Job Location: Norwalk, CT or New York, NY
Education Level: Bachelors Degree
Travel Percentage: Occasional
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) is seeking a motivated, organized, and dedicated Passive House Coordinator to learn, grow, and thrive with us. The ideal candidate should be an excellent organizer and communicator, passionate about high-performance buildings and have expertise in AutoCAD and Sketchup, as well as 2+ years of experience in each. Relevant college project experience will be considered as meeting this requirement. Familiarity with Passive House or other certification programs and/or software training in either the US or International PH standard, and/or expertise in Bluebeam are a plus. The ideal candidate will have a desire to support the PH team through modeling and administrative coordination efforts as well as work directly with clients.
SWA’s CT and NYC offices are not fully open due to COVID-19; this position will be a work from home position, initially.
This position report to a Senior Sustainability Consultant.
The role requires a self-starter able to work independently in an office environment. Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Perform area takeoffs from construction drawings to accurately determine building geometry, and other tasks in support of energy modeling,
- Generate 3D models of buildings using SketchUp or other applicable software,
- Review project drawings throughout the design process,
- Participate in design meetings and provide on-going support to the entire project team,
- Assist the team in project management and tracking and support day-to-day operations,
- Support the Passive House team’s marketing efforts and proposal responses,
- Communicate effectively and promptly with colleagues, clients, and project teams via email and telephone.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary functions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Below is a list of the minimum requirements for the position:
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Engineering, Construction Management or related degree with an emphasis on buildings and their operation, or 2+ years experience with multi-family design and construction.
- Expert in both AutoCAD and SketchUp, with 2+ years of experience in each
- Expert in Microsoft Excel
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Programs (in order of importance Word, PowerPoint).
- Project experience with building projects in the US
- General understanding of energy use in buildings
- Outstanding organizational skills
- Outstanding attention to detail
Preferred knowledge and skills
- Familiarity with Passive House, other certification programs, and/or US or International PH standard software training is a plus
- 1+ years of energy modeling experience
- Expert in Bluebeam
- Excellent work ethic
- Willingness to learn and be a “self-starter”
- Outstanding organizational skills, attention to detail, and strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to multitask and manage time efficiently.
- Ability to work independently when required.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, maturity, credibility, confidence, and integrity
- Collaborative nature with strong focus on teamwork
- Desire to learn and evolve
Other duties: Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without prior notice.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand.
When in the field the employee must frequently lift or move objects up to 40 pounds; must be able to climb stairs and endure typical construction site conditions. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
Travel Required: Some travel to our offices in Connecticut may be required. A valid and clean driving license is required.
Working Environment: Most of the duties will be performed in an office environment.
Performance Standards: Performance will be evaluated against this job description, competencies for this level, and mutually agreed goals.
Applications submitted without a cover letter will not be reviewed.
About Steven Winter Associates, Inc.
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) provides research, consulting and advisory services to improve commercial, residential and multifamily built environments for private and public-sector clients. We specialize in energy, sustainability and accessibility consulting as well as certification, research & development and compliance services. Our team of professionals has led the way since 1972 in the development of best practices to achieve high performance buildings.
SWA is an Equal Opportunity Employer – all qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability, or marital status.