Job Position: Green Building/Sustainability Consultant
Location: Norwalk, CT
Full time/part time: Full time position
Travel Required: Estimated at 30%
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) is seeking an experienced professional to perform ratings under the Home Energy Rating System (HERS) to support ENERGY STAR, LEED, Enterprise Green Communities, and Passive House certifications as well as local incentive programs. This position will have the opportunity to collaborate with industry experts and clients to deliver innovative solutions for sustainable buildings.
Projects served are located primarily in southern Connecticut, Long Island, and the NYC metro area. Travel may be required to locations as far away as Buffalo. Project types include gut rehabs and new construction; wood, steel, and masonry construction; single-family and multifamily buildings; luxury homes and affordable housing.
- Articulate building science principles and green building program requirements to project teams.
- Undertake plan and specification reviews to confirm program compliance.
- Perform takeoffs from construction drawings to accurately determine building geometry.
- Perform REM/Rate energy modeling and analysis.
- Review construction submittals for alignment with plans, specifications, and program criteria.
- Complete site inspections and diagnostic testing to confirm green program requirements.
- Complete and submit project documentation to support green building certification.
- Comply with SWA policies for quality assurance related to green building programs.
- Educate project teams in high-performance construction and building science principles.
- Communicate effectively and promptly with colleagues, clients, and project teams via email and telephone.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in a built environment design or planning field i.e. architecture, construction management or building-related engineering disciplines.
- 1-2 years of experience with residential construction and mechanical/electrical/plumbing systems
- Proven interest in and demonstrates a deep understanding of green building strategies.
- Strong technical background with a solid working knowledge of residential building systems.
- Experience reading and reviewing construction drawings and specifications.
- Experience with onsite construction.
Required Technical Skills/Certifications:
- Attention to detail with strong oral and written communication skills.
- Valid driver’s license with a clean driving record
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Programs (in order of importance Excel, Word, Bluebeam, Outlook, and PowerPoint).
Preferred knowledge, and skills:
Previous experience as a HERS Rater, LEED for Homes Green Rater, and/or Green Verifier.
Required personal qualities:
- Excellent work ethic.
- Willingness to learn and be a self-starter.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, maturity, credibility, confidence, and integrity.
- Collaborative nature with a strong focus on teamwork.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without prior notice.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to walk; use hands to type, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand.
When in the field the employee must frequently lift or move objects up to 40 pounds; must be able to climb stairs and endure typical construction site conditions. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
Occasional overnight travel is anticipated for this position. Frequent local day travel will be necessary (estimated at 30%). A valid and clean driving license is required.
Most work is performed in an office environment. Regular field work which will involve trips to projects sites is also required.
Performance will be evaluated against this job description, competencies for this level, and mutually agreed on goals.
About The Company:
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) provides research, consulting and advisory services to improve commercial, residential and multifamily built environments for private and public sector clients. We specialize in energy, sustainability, and accessibility consulting as well as certification, research & development, and compliance services. Our team of professionals has led the way since 1972 in the development of best practices to achieve high-performance buildings.
SWA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package. Please visit www.swinter.com for further information.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter as part of your application.