Job Title: Green Building Specialist (Multifamily)
Location: Washington, D.C.
Education Level: Bachelors Degree
The Position and Team
The Residential Building Services team at SWA is seeking a professional to support energy efficient multifamily building design and construction. The ideal candidate will have excellent communication skills, a passion for improving the built environment, and experience with multifamily design and construction. Tasks include reviewing architectural and mechanical system design; inspecting and testing buildings under construction; and documenting energy/green measures to help new multifamily projects achieve green certification, meet local codes, and qualify for incentives.
SWA has established a reputation as a leader in high performance multifamily housing. This position offers limitless learning opportunities and the chance to positively impact people and the environment. At SWA, we see each new building as a chance for a healthier, more sustainable, and lower carbon future.
This position reports to the Senior Sustainability Consultant level or higher.
Our D.C. and New York offices are currently closed due to COVID-19. This position requires site visits, but will otherwise be a work from home position until the office reopens.
- Articulate building science principles and sustainability requirements to all project stakeholders.
- Review construction documents (plans, specifications, submittals) to confirm best practices and program or code compliance. Communicate recommendations to stakeholders.
- Perform analysis including takeoffs from construction drawings and calculating energy savings.
- Complete site inspections and performance testing to verify program requirements. Effectively communicate recommendations or corrections to construction trades in the field.
- Accurately document building measures as required for building certification or code.
- Independently plan and complete assignments.
- Deliver accurate and complete work products on time and on budget.
- Communicate effectively and promptly with colleagues and clients via email, written reports, telephone and virtual conferencing.
- Collaborate effectively with colleagues and clients to solve problems and meet work objectives.
- Comply with all SWA policies and procedures, from project work to professional conduct.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Below is a list of the minimum requirements for the position.
Required industry knowledge, and skills:
- 1+ years of experience with design or construction of new multifamily buildings.
- Strong technical background with a solid working knowledge of residential and multifamily buildings (including mechanical, structural, and thermal envelope systems).
- Proven interest in and understanding of building science and energy efficient buildings.
- Fluency reading and reviewing construction drawings and specifications.
- Willingness to work in all weather conditions and on construction sites.
- Ability to lift 40 pounds and carry it 50 yards to facilitate field testing work.
- Ability to explain complex concepts quickly and concisely to a variety of stakeholders.
- Outstanding communication skills: writing, speaking, and listening.
- Outstanding attention to detail.
- Outstanding time management skills. Ability to manage and prioritize a large number of tasks.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, maturity, credibility, emotional intelligence, and integrity.
- Collaborative attitude with strong focus on teamwork.
- Highly adaptable. Able to effectively work with a wide range of projects and people. Able to adjust to ever-changing energy efficiency technologies and programs.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs (in order of importance: Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint).
Required education and certifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in architectural engineering or building technologies. Other acceptable degrees include architecture, construction management, or building-related engineering disciplines. 3+ years work experience in design and construction of new multifamily buildings may substitute for the stated degree(s).
- Valid driving license with clean driving record.
Preferred knowledge and skills:
- Previous experience as a HERS Rater, LEED for Homes Green Rater, and/or NGBS Green Verifier preferred but not required.
- Experience with onsite construction.
Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without prior notice.
In the office, the employee is regularly required to sit, frequently required to walk and occasionally required to stand. The employee frequently is required to use hands to type, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
In the field, the employee must frequently lift or move objects up to 40 pounds and carry them 50 yards repeatedly over the course of a day. Employees in this role must be able to climb stairs and ladders and endure typical construction site conditions.
Expect frequent local field visits to client offices and project sites in the D.C. metro area. Visits to the outlying areas may be required less often. Occasional overnight travel may also be required (1-2 times/year). A valid and clean driving license is required.
Approximately 60% of duties will be performed in an office environment or at the employee’s home when offices are closed. Approximately 40% of the duties will be performed in the field, which will involve trips to projects sites for observation, testing and training.
Performance will be evaluated against this job description, competencies for this level, the employee’s initial training plan, and mutually agreed upon goals.
About Steven Winter Associates, Inc.
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) provides research, consulting and advisory services to improve commercial, residential and multifamily built environments for private and public sector clients. We specialize in energy, sustainability and accessibility consulting as well as certification, research & development and compliance services. Our team of professionals has led the way since 1972 in the development of best practices to achieve high performance buildings.
SWA is an Equal Opportunity Employer – all qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability or marital status.
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package.
Applications submitted without a cover letter will not be reviewed