Job Position: Green Building Consultant
Full time/part time: Full time
Location: Washington, DC
Travel Percentage: Up to 50%
Job Category: Engineering
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) provides research, consulting and advisory services to improve commercial, residential, and multifamily built environments for private and public sector clients. We specialize in accessibility, energy and sustainability consulting. Our team of professionals has led the way since 1972 in the development of best practices to achieve high performance buildings.
The Position and Team:
SWA is seeking an experienced professional to support green and high-performance building design, construction and operations to join our Washington, DC office. The professional will perform ratings under green building certification programs including the Home Energy Rating System (HERS), ENERGY STAR, LEED, Enterprise Green Communities, National Green Building Standard, and the International Green Construction Code as well as local incentive programs. This position will have the opportunity to collaborate with industry experts and clients to deliver innovative solutions for sustainable buildings.
Our office offers limitless learning opportunities and exposure to a wide range of project types including hospitality, schools, multifamily, commercial, office, and retail. This position will work with project teams from design through construction stages to implement green building program requirements programs including the suite of LEED Rating Systems, Enterprise Green Communities, and the International Green Construction Code.
This position reports to a Senior Consultant.
Under the direction of a Senior Consultant
- Manage multiple projects at once including scheduling, tracking milestones and reviewing compliance with green building criteria.
- Articulate building science principles, sustainability best practices and green building program requirements to project teams.
- Undertake plan and specification reviews to confirm sustainability measures and program compliance.
- Perform takeoffs from construction drawings to accurately determine building geometry.
- Perform energy modeling and analysis.
- Review construction submittals for alignment with plans, specifications, sustainability best practices and program criteria.
- Complete site inspections and diagnostic testing to confirm green program requirements.
- Complete and submit project documentation to support green building certification.
- Comply with SWA policies for quality assurance related to green building programs.
- Educate project teams in high performance construction, healthy building, and building science principles.
- Communicate effectively and promptly with colleagues, clients, and project teams via email and telephone.
- Meet deadlines and maintain project schedules and budgets.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Below is a list of the minimum requirements for the position.
Required Industry Knowledge and Skills:
- Minimum 2 years of experience with residential and multifamily construction and mechanical/electrical/plumbing systems.
- Proven interest in and demonstrates an understanding of green building strategies.
- Strong technical background with a solid working knowledge of residential and multifamily building systems.
- Experience reading and reviewing construction drawings and specifications.
- Experience with onsite construction.
Required Technical Skills/Certifications:
- Bachelors degree in a built environment design or planning field i.e. architecture, construction management or building-related engineering disciplines.
- Prefer previous experience as a HERS Rater, LEED for Homes Green Rater, and/or NGBS Green Verifier preferred.
- Valid driving license with clean driving record.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Programs (in order of importance Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint).
- Excellent communicator and ability to explain complex concepts to a variety of stakeholders.
- Attention to detail with strong oral and written communication skills.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, maturity, credibility, confidence and integrity.
- Collaborative with strong focus on teamwork.
Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without prior notice.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to walk; use hands to type, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand.
When in the field the employee must frequently lift or move objects up to 40 pounds and carry 50 yards; must be able to climb stairs and endure typical construction site conditions. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
Frequent local field visits to client offices and project sites in the Washington, DC Metro area will be necessary (estimated 25-50%).
Many of the duties will be performed in the field, which will involve trips to projects sites for observation, testing, and training. Remaining duties will be performed in an office environment.
Performance will be evaluated against this job description, competencies for this level, and mutually agreed goals.
About Steven Winter Associates, Inc.
SWA is an Equal Opportunity Employer – all qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability, or marital status. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package. Applications submitted without a cover letter will not be reviewed.
For further information on Steven Winter Associates, please visit www.swinter.com.
SWA is an Equal Opportunity Employer – all qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability, or marital status.
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package. Applications submitted without a cover letter will not be reviewed.