Job Location: New York, NY
Education Level: Bachelors Degree
The Position and Team
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. is seeking an Energy Analyst to join the Sustainable Buildings team. We are a leader in providing energy analysis and simulation, which has assisted dozens of commercial and residential projects in successfully achieving building certification, securing government incentives, and exceeding energy code for buildings in the northeast.
SWA employees are working from home due to COVID-19 so this position will be a work from home position, initially.
This position reports to a Senior Energy Analyst / Engineer.
Primary Responsibilities will include:
The Energy Analyst I/II will work on a variety of building types; multifamily existing buildings, new construction or commercial and gut-renovation projects, and must be able to perform the following tasks:
- Articulate building science principles and green building program requirements and results of energy analyses to senior staff
- Assist with reviews of architectural and mechanical drawings and specifications & prepare energy plan review reports
- Research and identify energy saving and green building measures to maximize performance of existing designs
- Create energy simulations and analyses using eQUEST and/or EnergyPlus
- Investigate costs and benefits associated with energy efficiency measures
- Revise energy models and/or analyses to reflect as-built conditions using field data
- Prepare program documentation and respond to review comments
- Effectively communicate in written and spoken English
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Below is a list of the minimum requirements for the position:
- Bachelor degree in Engineering, Architecture, or Building Energy related field
- 0 – 2 years of relevant and consecutive work experience
- Applied knowledge of high-performance buildings and energy efficiency
- ASHRAE Standards 90.1, 62.1, and 62.2
- Commercial & Residential HVAC systems and design
- ENERGY STAR Multifamily High-Rise, State and Local Utility incentive programs
- Cost estimating
- Working knowledge of energy model coding language, such as Ruby, Python, C++ or C#.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Programs (in order of importance Excel, Word, and PowerPoint).
Preferred knowledge and skills:
- Experience working on green building projects that have either achieved or pursued LEED certification and incentive programs
- Experience in evaluating energy performance impact of building envelope assemblies
- Experience with data visualization
- Attention to detail with excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to multitask and manage time efficiently
- Meet deadlines and be flexible to changing deadlines
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, maturity, credibility, confidence and integrity
- Focused and highly self-motivated
- Able to work independently as well as close collaboration with other staff members and multiple client project teams
Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without prior notice.
While performing the duties of this job the employee will be based in the office (home office initially), performing office-based tasks, using computer-based software.
No overnight travel is anticipated for this position. Some occasional local day travel will be necessary.
All of this work is performed in an office environment. Occasional field work which will involve trips to projects sites for observation and training maybe required.
Performance will be evaluated against this job description, competencies for this level, and mutually agreed goals.
About Steven Winter Associates, Inc.
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) provides research, consulting and advisory services to improve commercial, residential and multifamily built environments for private and public- sector clients. We specialize in energy, sustainability and accessibility consulting as well as certification, research & development and compliance services. Our team of professionals has led the way since 1972 in the development of best practices to achieve high performance buildings.
For further information on Steven Winter Associates, please visit www.swinter.com.
SWA is an Equal Opportunity Employer – all qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability, or marital status. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package.
Applications submitted without a cover letter will not be reviewed.