Job Position: Mechanical Engineer
Full time/part time: Full time
Location: New York, NY
Travel Percentage: Estimated at up to 50%
The Position and Team:
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) is seeking a qualified professional with a strong understanding of energy-efficiency and sustainable building principles to join our Manhattan office. This position will support Senior Engineers in our Commercial Energy group working with clients seeking compliance with Local Laws, retro-commissioning services and feasibility studies.
SWA works on a large variety of dynamic projects in one of the world’s largest markets, so the following Duties and Responsibilities are representative of some of the many types of projects your team may encounter at SWA.
This position reports to a Senior Mechanical Engineer.
- Understand HVAC Systems commonly found in commercial buildings
- Apply energy efficiency and building science principles
- Be familiar with NYC Local Law 87 and its implementation
- Perform Energy Audits and Retro-Commissioning studies
- Interact with building owners, developers, architects, engineers, and contractors
- Review and interpret HVAC design and building plans
- Perform data analysis and excel spreadsheet development
- Write and issue technical and non-technical reports
- Maintain spreadsheets, photo documentation, and project tracking tools
- Review and perform building diagnostic tests
Additional job functions may include:
- Maintenance of testing equipment used in project execution
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Below is a list of the minimum requirements for the position:
Required education, industry knowledge, and skills:
- Bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering
- 1 to 4 years experience
- Possess or working toward CEM, PE and/or Commissioning certification
- Knowledge and interest in building science principles
- Knowledge of NYC Local Law 84 and 87
- Energy auditing experience
- Retro-Commissioning experience
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Programs (in order of importance Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
Preferred knowledge and skills:
- Familiarity with Energy Code and/or ASHRAE standards is a plus
- Detail oriented with strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, maturity, credibility, confidence, and integrity
- Effective time-management skills and experience managing multiple priorities
- Collaborative, with a strong focus on teamwork
Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without prior notice.
While performing the duties of this job in an office environment, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to walk; use hands to type, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand.
When in the field the employee must frequently lift or move objects up to 40 pounds; must be able to climb stairs and endure typical construction site conditions. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Occasional overnight travel may be required (less than 10%). Frequent local field visits in the NYC Metro area will be necessary (estimated 40-50%). A valid and clean driving license is required.
Approximately half of the duties will be performed in an office environment. The remainder of the duties will be performed in the field, which will involve trips to projects sites for observation, testing, and training.
Performance will be evaluated against this job description, competencies for this level, and mutually agreed goals.
About Steven Winter Associates, Inc.
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) provides research, consulting and advisory services to improve commercial, residential and multifamily built environments for private and public-sector clients. We specialize in energy, sustainability, and accessibility consulting as well as certification, research & development and compliance services. Our team of professionals has led the way since 1972 in the development of best practices to achieve high-performance buildings.
SWA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter clearly indicating why you would like to be part of SWA.
For more information on Steven Winter Associates, please visit our website www.swinter.com.