Job Title: Building Systems Engineer
Job Location: Washington, DC
Education Level: Bachelors Degree
Travel Percentage: Up to 50%
The Position and Team
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) is seeking qualified professionals with a strong passion for improving the built environment to support our Building Operations, Decarbonization, and Efficiency team.
This role will be an integral part of our expanding team, which is leveraging SWA’s 48-year track record to provide commissioning, energy auditing, and retrofit services to multifamily, commercial, institutional, cultural/art center, and community center buildings in the DC area and beyond. We are looking for qualified individuals for our Washington, DC office. The successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to complete the following tasks with the technical and interpersonal skills outlined below that will help him or her excel at SWA. This posting is for a mid-level position (2-5+ years of experience).
This position will require site visits and may start partially or fully remote.
These positions report to a Senior Building Systems Consultant/Engineer.
Primary Responsibilities for the position will include:
1. Perform project work for:
- Commissioning projects for new construction and existing building retrofits
- Benchmarking, energy auditing, and retro-commissioning for existing buildings.
2. Complete technical project work including:
- Review construction documents and provide recommendations to improve. constructability, indoor air quality, energy efficiency, and operations.
- Review submittals, code requirements, and develop testing plans.
- Inspect installations of building equipment.
- Review and perform both central plant and terminal unit functional testing.
- Perform trend analysis.
- Lead development of energy savings strategies and calculations.
- Review energy savings calculations of others for correctness and for adherence to incentive and clean energy financing program rules.
- Provide written technical and non-technical issue log findings and reports for program compliance and ownership review.
3. Work with internal stakeholders including project managers, energy modelers, sustainability consultants, accessibility consultants, etc.
4. Assume primary responsibility for the execution of small projects including project financials.
5. Lead communication with building owners, developers, architects, engineers and contractors.
6. Train Entry Level staff members when applicable.
7. With guidance from Senior Engineers, assist with project proposals.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Below is a list of the minimum requirements for the position.
Required industry knowledge, and skills
- Understand common HVAC systems and emerging high-performance alternatives.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering.
- 2 – 5+ years of relevant and consecutive work experience. Work experience relevant to this position must include experience with HVAC systems in large multifamily or commercial buildings.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Programs (in order of importance Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint.)
Preferred knowledge, and skills
- Familiarity with LEED Rating Systems.
- Familiarity with utility billing analysis and energy savings spreadsheet calculations.
- Familiarity with Energy Code and/or ASHRAE standards.
- Familiarity with Washington, DC regional laws related to energy and climate (Clean Air and Energy Act of 2008, Clean Energy DC Omnibus Act of 2018, Montgomery County Benchmarking Law).
- Familiarity with Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) financing and/or Green Bank financing requirements for the Washington, DC region.
- Excellent communicator and presenter able to explain complex concepts to a variety of stakeholders.
- Attention to detail.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, maturity, credibility, confidence and integrity.
- Strong time-management skills and experience managing multiple priorities at once.
- Collaborative with strong focus on teamwork.
- Excellent work ethic.
- Passionate about optimizing MEP systems and improving the built environment.
- Desire to love what you do.
Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without prior notice.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to walk; use hands to type, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand.
When in the field the employee must frequently lift or move objects up to 20 pounds; must be able to climb stairs and endure typical construction site conditions. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
Occasional overnight travel may be required (Less than 10%). Frequent local field visits in the Office Metro area will be necessary (estimated at 40-50%). A valid and clean driving license is required.
Approximately half of the duties will be performed in an office environment. The remainder of the duties will be performed in the field which will involve trips to projects sites for observation and training.
Performance will be evaluated against this job description, competencies for this level, and mutually agreed goals
About Steven Winter Associates, Inc.
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) provides research, consulting and advisory services to improve commercial, residential and multifamily built environments for private and public-sector clients. We specialize in energy, sustainability and accessibility consulting as well as certification, research & development and compliance services. Our team of professionals has led the way since 1972 in the development of best practices to achieve high performance buildings.
For further information on Steven Winter Associates, please visit www.swinter.com.
SWA is an Equal Opportunity Employer – all qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability, or marital status. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package. Applications submitted without a cover letter will not be reviewed.