Job Position: Building Systems / Commissioning Intern
Full time/part time: Internship (details below)
Location: New York, NY
Education Level: Bachelor’s Degree
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) provides research, consulting and advisory services to improve commercial, residential and multifamily built environments for private and public sector clients. We specialize in energy, sustainability and accessibility consulting as well as certification, research & development and compliance services. Our team of professional has led the way since 1972 in the development of best practices to achieve high performance buildings.
The Position and Team:
Steven Winter Associates (SWA) is seeking a qualified professional with a strong passion for improving the built environment to support commissioning services in the Northeast Region.
This role will be an integral part of our expanding commissioning team which is leveraging SWA’s 46-year track record to provide commissioning services to the NYC Metropolitan areas and beyond. As such, the successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to complete the following tasks with the technical and personal skills outlined below that will help him or her excel at SWA.
This position reports to a Senior Building Systems Engineer.
This is a paid internship with the possibility of renewal or transition to full-time position. Minimum hours of 10 hours per week. Hourly compensation, with the possibility for increases commensurate with experience and skills.
Primary responsibilities may include some or all of the following:
Under the direction of Senior Engineers,
- Understand common HVAC systems and emerging high-performance alternatives
- Assist on commissioning projects for new construction and existing building retrofits
- Support energy audits and retro-commissioning of existing buildings
- Assist in reviewing construction documents to improve constructability, IAQ, energy efficiency, and operations
- Research equipment and code requirements
- Review submittals
- Document building systems
- Assist with development of testing plans
- Inspect installations of building equipment
- Test HVAC, plumbing and electrical systems and identify operational issues with project manager
- Document review comments and inspection findings
- Work with internal stakeholders including commissioning project managers, energy modelers, sustainability consultants, etc
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Below is a list of the minimum requirements for the position.
Required Industry Knowledge, and Skills:
- Obtained or pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering
- 0-2 years of experience in a related field (building commissioning experience preferred)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Programs (in order of importance Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint).
Preferred Knowledge, and Skills:
- Understanding of building HVAC and Plumbing systems
- Familiarity with LEED Rated Systems
- Familiarity with Energy Code and/or ASHRAE standards is a plus
- Excellent communicator and presenter able to explain complex concepts to a variety of stakeholders
- Attention to detail with strong oral and written communication skills
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, maturity, credibility, confidence and integrity.
- Strong time-management skills and experience managing multiple priorities at once
- Collaborative with a strong focus on teamwork
- Excellent work ethic
Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without prior notice.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to walk; use hands to type, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand.
When in the field the employee must frequently lift or move objects up to 40 pounds; must be able to climb stairs and endure typical construction site conditions. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus
Occasional local field visits in the NYC Metro area will be necessary. A valid and clean driving license is required.
Approximately 60-80% of the duties will be performed in an office environment. The remainder of the duties will be performed in the field which will involve trips to projects sites for observation and training.
Performance will be evaluated against this job description, competencies for this level, and mutually agreed goals.
About Steven Winter Associates, Inc.
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) provides research, consulting and advisory services to improve commercial, residential and multifamily built environments for private and public sector clients. We specialize in energy, sustainability and accessibility consulting as well as certification, research & development and compliance services. Our team of professionals has led the way since 1972 in the development of best practices to achieve high performance buildings.
For further information on Steven Winter Associates, please visit www.swinter.com.
SWA is an Equal Opportunity Employer – all qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability, or marital status.
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package. Applications submitted without a cover letter will not be reviewed.