Job Position: Building Systems Analyst/Solar Analyst
Full time/part time: Full time
Location: New York, NY
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) provides research, consulting and advisory services to improve commercial, residential and multifamily built environments for private and public-sector clients. We specialize in energy, sustainability, and accessibility consulting as well as certification, research & development, and compliance services. Our team of professionals has led the way since 1972 in the development of best practices to achieve high-performance buildings.
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) is hiring a qualified professional with an understanding of energy-efficient and sustainable building design and construction practices to work in our Multifamily New Construction group. This position consults with design and development teams on high-performance design projects seeking ENERGY STAR Multifamily and Enterprise Green Communities certifications. Services include energy code consulting, solar feasibility and design, NYSERDA incentive capture, as well as collaboration with in-house teams on LEED projects.
This position reports to a Senior Building Systems Engineer.
- Knowledge and application of energy efficiency, green building standards, and building science principles
- Interact with building owners, developers, architects, engineers, and contractors
- Data analysis, construction documents (Architectural, MEP) review, and contractor submittals review
- Testing and inspecting for quality control on construction sites
- Ability to review and perform building diagnostic tests (blower door, dust blaster, etc.)
- Compiling and issuing field inspection reports
- Maintaining spreadsheets, photo documentation, and project portfolio organization
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
The role requires a self-starter able to work independently in a large office environment with the ability to take on project management responsibilities. Below is a list of the minimum requirements for the position.
Required education, industry knowledge, and skills
- Bachelors degree in a built environment design or planning field i.e. architectural or building engineering, preferred
- 0 – 2 years of relevant experience
- BPI certification
- Knowledge and interest in building science principles
- Strong quantitative analysis and research skills
- Familiar with construction drawings and experience conducting field inspections
- Familiar with ASHRAE 90.1 and IECC
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Programs (in order of importance Excel, Word, and PowerPoint)
- CAD experience
Preferred knowledge and skills:
- Solar design experience a plus
- Passion for sustainability and the energy transition
- Attention to detail with strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to multitask and manage time efficiently
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, maturity, credibility, confidence, and integrity
- Collaborative with a strong focus on teamwork
Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without prior notice.
While performing the duties of this job in an office environment, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to walk; use hands to type, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand.
When in the field the employee must frequently lift or move objects up to 40 pounds; must be able to climb stairs and endure typical construction site conditions. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Occasional overnight travel may be required (less than 10%). Frequent local field visits in the NYC Metro area will be necessary (estimated 40-50%). A valid and clean driving license is required.
Approximately half of the duties will be performed in an office environment. The remainder of the duties will be performed in the field, which will involve trips to projects sites for observation, testing, and training.
Performance will be evaluated against this job description, competencies for this level, and mutually agreed upon goals.
SWA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter as part of your application.
Visit www.swinter.com for further information.