Job Position: Building Enclosure Consultant
Full time/part time: Full time
Location: New York, NY
Travel Percentage: estimated less than 10%
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) provides research, consulting and advisory services to improve commercial, residential and multifamily built environments for private and public-sector clients. We specialize in energy, sustainability, and accessibility consulting as well as certification, research & development, and compliance services. Our team of professionals has led the way since 1972 in the development of best practices to achieve high-performance buildings.
The Position and Team:
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) is seeking to hire a Building Enclosure Consultant to contribute to its growing enclosure consulting team in New York.
We are seeking a motivated, organized, and dedicated individual to learn, grow, and thrive with us. The ideal candidate should be passionate, experienced, and knowledgeable about high-performance buildings, in particular the building enclosure systems. SWA works on a variety of building types, from historic properties to new and retrofit Passive House projects. Our approach is science-based, technically comprehensive, and practiced with a designer’s eye. Our enclosure team works directly with our commercial and residential sustainable building teams in providing building owners and clients the SWA Whole Building Approach. This is a growth opportunity in a compelling environment with many high-profile projects.
This position reports to the Director, Building Enclosure Services.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Perform existing building enclosure condition assessments and reporting.
- Review and mark-up architectural drawings throughout the design process, from schematic design to CDs.
- Provide preliminary specifications for cladding, water-management, air-barrier, and thermal systems.
- Develop sketch details for enclosure systems, including waterproofing, air-barriers, thermal-barriers and cladding.
- Attend design meetings and provide on-going support to the entire project team.
- Perform site inspections, prepare and issue site inspection field reports.
- Perform analyses during design phases and diagnostic testing during construction phases.
- Review construction administration submittals and shop drawings.
- Assist the SWA team in project management and support day-to-day operations.
- Communicate effectively and promptly with colleagues, clients, and project teams via email and telephone.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Secondary Responsibilities (if any):
Depending on project and skill sets these may include:
- WUFI and THERM analysis and reporting;
- Design concept and analysis results presentations to client and design team
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Below is a list of the minimum requirements for the position:
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Engineering, Construction Management or related;
- 2 – 4 years of relevant experience in building enclosure systems;
- Expertise in building enclosures, in particular thermal and moisture management systems;
- Expertise in both AutoCAD, and Sketchup;
- General understanding of energy use in buildings;
- Outstanding organizational skills;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Programs (in order of importance Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
Preferred knowledge and skills:
- Familiarity with Passive House, and other certification programs, is a plus;
- Familiarity with THERM and WUFI analytical programs.
- Excellent work ethic;
- Willingness to learn and be a self-starter;
- Outstanding attention to detail with strong oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to multitask and manage time efficiently;
- Ability to work independently when required;
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, maturity, credibility, confidence and integrity;
- Collaborative nature with strong focus on teamwork.
Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without prior notice.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand.
The employee may be required to lift or move objects up to 40 pounds; must be able to climb stairs and endure typical construction site conditions. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
Occasional overnight travel may be required (less than 5%). Frequent local field visits in the NYC Metro area will be necessary (estimated 10-20%). A valid and clean driving license is required.
Most of the duties will be performed in an office environment. The remainder of the duties will be performed in the field, which will involve trips to projects sites for observation, testing, and training.
Performance will be evaluated against this job description, competencies for this level, and mutually agreed goals.
SWA is an Equal Opportunity Employer – all qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability, or marital status. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package. Applications submitted without a cover letter will not be reviewed.