Job Position: Accessibility Specialist
Full time/part time: Full time
Location: Norwalk, CT
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) provides research, consulting and advisory services to improve commercial, residential, and multifamily built environments for private and public sector clients. We specialize in accessibility, energy and sustainability consulting. Our team of professionals has led the way since 1972 in the development of best practices to achieve high performance buildings.
The Position and the Team:
The Accessibility Consulting Team at Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) is looking for an Accessibility Specialist. This team is a proven leader in helping clients create buildings that are in compliance with regulatory requirements for accessible design and construction. Our mission is to provide consistently exceptional and reliable solutions-driven accessibility consulting with the goal of exceeding the expectations of our business partners and transforming their approach to development and acquisitions.
SWA has worked diligently with private and public sector clients in a range of capacities to help promote the goal of accessible design regulated by building codes and federal, state, and local laws.
This position reports to the Accessibility Consultant.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The Accessibility Specialist under the direction of a Senior Consultant will…
1) Participate independently in all phases of the firm’s accessibility-related business sector, including the review of design plans, specifications and product submittals; field inspections and existing building audits; technical assistance and consulting during project development, design and construction; remediation plans and cost estimates; litigation consulting; and training.
2) Become proficient in highly specialized regulations, codes, standards, and other relevant criteria:
- accessibility regulations, including the Americans with Disabilities Act, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Fair Housing Amendments Act, and other state and local regulations;
- accessibility requirements of the building code, including the International Building Code and other state and local codes;
- accessibility standards and guidelines, including the 2010 Standards for Accessible Design, the Uniform Federal Accessibility Standards, ANSI A117.1, and others.
3) Investigate, analyze, and respond to technical inquiries concerning accessibility issues.
4) Research and maintain databases of current products, codes, and standards related to accessibility.
5) Participate in meetings with project teams.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Below is a list of the minimum requirements for the position.
Required industry knowledge, and skills
- Bachelor of Architecture, BS in Architecture, BS in Architectural Technology, or
- BS in an unrelated field and a minimum of two years of work experience in the field of Code review or Accessibility Consulting with demonstrated experience in conducting plan reviews and field inspections.
- Demonstrated command of navigating plan documents from schematic design and design development through construction documents required.
- Ability to communicate highly specialized and technical information to a variety of audiences, in writing and verbally.
- A writing sample is required to be submitted as part of the application process
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Programs (in order of importance Excel, Word, and PowerPoint).
Preferred knowledge, and skills
- CAD experience is preferred
- Adobe InDesign experience is preferred
Required personal qualities
- Interest in highly specialized and technical work
- Organized and super detail oriented
- Ability to work in a fast-paced collaborative environment
- Ability to multitask and manage time efficiently, and work independently when required
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, maturity, credibility, confidence, and integrity
- Collaborative with a strong focus on teamwork
Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without prior notice.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to walk; use hands to type, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand.
When in the field the employee must frequently lift or move objects up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift or move objects up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
Minimum overnight travel is anticipated for this position. Some occasional local day travel will be necessary. A valid and clean driving license is required.
Most work is performed in an office environment. Regular field work which will involve trips to projects sites is required.
Performance will be evaluated against this job description, competencies for this level, and mutually agreed goals.
SWA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package. Applications submitted without a cover letter will not be reviewed.
For further information on Steven Winter Associates, please visit www.swinter.com.