Accessibility Specialist – New York, NY
Job Position: Accessibility Specialist
Full time/part time: Full time
Location: New York, NY
Reports to: Senior Accessibility Consultant
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) provides research, consulting and advisory services to improve commercial, residential, and multifamily built environments for private and public sector clients. We specialize in accessibility, energy and sustainability consulting. Our team of professionals has led the way since 1972 in the development of best practices to achieve high performance buildings.
The Position and Team:
The Accessibility Compliance and Consulting Group at Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) is a proven leader in helping clients create buildings that are in compliance with regulatory requirements for accessible design and construction. Our mission is to provide consistently exceptional and reliable solutions-driven accessibility consulting with the goal of exceeding the expectations of our business partners and transforming their approach to development, acquisitions, operations, and management.
SWA has worked diligently with private and public sector clients in a range of capacities to help promote the goal of accessible design regulated by building codes and federal, state, and local laws.
- Participate in all phases of the firm’s accessibility-related business sector, including the review of design plans, specifications and product submittals; field inspections and existing building audits; technical assistance and consulting during project development, design and construction; remediation plans and cost estimates; litigation consulting; and training.
- Become proficient in highly specialized regulations, codes, standards, and other relevant criteria:
- accessibility regulations, including the Americans with Disabilities Act, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Fair Housing Amendments Act, and other state and local regulations;
- accessibility codes, including the International Building Code and other state and local codes;
- accessibility standards and guidelines, including the 2010 Standards for Accessible Design, the Uniform Federal Accessibility Standards, ANSI A117.1, and others.
- Investigate, analyze, and respond to technical inquiries concerning accessibility issues.
- Research and maintain database of current products, codes, and standards related to accessibility.
- Participate in meetings with project teams.
- Travel is required
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without prior notice.
Skills and Experience:
- Demonstrated command of navigating plan documents from schematic design and design development through construction documents required.
- Ability to communicate highly specialized and technical information to a variety of audiences, in writing and verbally. A writing sample will be required to be submitted as part of the application process.
- CAD experience preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Programs (in order of importance Excel, Word, and PowerPoint).
- Organized and super detail oriented a must.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced collaborative environment required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication required.
- Interest in highly specialized and technical work required.
SWA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package.